SMALLER CHURCH NETWORK
Launched in 2008 as the “Z-4:10 Network,” the network was established on the biblical basis of Zechariah 4:10, “For who has despised the day of small things?” Scripture reveals a God who works in remarkable ways in unexpected places. In many cases, those places are the smaller churches of the EPC. Following Phill Butler’s definition of a network as described in his book Well Connected, the Smaller Church Network is a way to facilitate ongoing communication and information sharing, thereby helping EPC small-church leaders serve and lead their congregations and communities more effectively.
The network operates under five assumptions:
• A church has worth and significance because it is a people of God, not because of its size.
• In determining ministry success, being a missional church is more important than size.
• Lack of growth in a church, regardless of size, may or may not be indicative of missional unfaithfulness and must be honestly addressed.
• Solutions to issues in a small church may be different than those in a larger setting.
• Leaders of small churches will benefit from connections with peers, mentors, and coaches.
In addition to the resources below, the Smaller Church Network Fund provides resources to develop programs, purchase leadership training materials, and assist leaders of small churches with financial need to attend regional conferences that will affirm the small church in its missional purpose and practice. Click here to join in this partnership (choose Pastoral and Chaplain Projects from the first pulldown menu, and Small Church Network (479) from the second pulldown menu). Thank you!
The Smaller Church Network began with the conviction that it will grow best from the ground up, as leaders connect in various and meaningful ways. For more information, click here to download the announcement letter. If you are a leader of a small church, we invite you to contact us and get involved!
OFFICE OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
Jerry Iamurri, Assistant Stated Clerk
SMALLER CHURCH NETWORK LEADERSHIP TEAM
Stated Clerk, Presbytery of the Mid-Atlantic
Franklin, North Carolina
Sylvania Presbyterian Church
GracePoint Community Church
SMALLER CHURCH NETWORK CHURCHES
Links to some of the EPC’s smaller churches are listed below. If you’d like your EPC congregation listed here, please contact us.